IELTS Practice (Grammar & Vocabulary) — All Questions

5 questions

Grammar & Tenses

I ___ my keys; I cannot find them anywhere. Which choice is correct?

  • a.lost
  • b.was losing
  • c.had lost
  • d.have lost✓

The present perfect 'have lost' links a past action to its present result (the keys are still missing now). The simple past 'lost' would not stress that present consequence.

Grammar & Tenses

By next June, she ___ here for ten years. Which choice is correct?

  • a.will have worked✓
  • b.works
  • c.will work
  • d.has worked

The future perfect 'will have worked' describes an action that will be completed by a point in the future ('by next June'). It is used with a deadline plus a duration.

Grammar & Tenses

While I ___ dinner, the telephone rang. Which choice is correct?

  • a.was cooking✓
  • b.have cooked
  • c.cook
  • d.cooked

The past continuous 'was cooking' describes an ongoing background action that was interrupted by a shorter past action ('rang'), which takes the simple past.

Grammar & Tenses

They ___ to London three times this year. Which choice is correct?

  • a.went
  • b.are going
  • c.have been✓
  • d.had been

The present perfect 'have been' fits an unfinished time period ('this year') where the number of experiences up to now is counted. 'Went' would need a finished past time.

Grammar & Tenses

If I ___ you, I would apologize immediately. Which choice is correct?

  • a.were✓
  • b.am
  • c.had been
  • d.was

In the second conditional giving advice, standard usage uses the subjunctive 'were' for all persons: 'If I were you'. This pairs with 'would apologize'.

Report