LanguageCert International ESOL — All Questions
5 questions
Choose the correct option: 'She asked me where ___.'
- a.do I live
- b.I live
- c.I lived✓
- d.did I live
In reported questions, word order is statement order (subject + verb) with no auxiliary, and the tense shifts back, so 'where I lived' is correct.
Complete the sentence: 'The bridge ___ last year after the storm.'
- a.repaired
- b.was repaired✓
- c.has repaired
- d.is repairing
A passive form is needed because the bridge received the action. With the past time marker 'last year', the past simple passive 'was repaired' is correct.
Select the correct form: 'I'd rather you ___ smoke in here.'
- a.didn't✓
- b.not
- c.don't
- d.won't
After 'I'd rather + subject', an unreal past form is used, so 'didn't' is correct even though it refers to the present.
Choose the correct comparative: 'This exam was ___ than the last one.'
- a.the most difficult
- b.far more difficult✓
- c.far difficulter
- d.more difficulter
'Difficult' forms its comparative with 'more', and 'far' intensifies it: 'far more difficult'. 'Difficulter' is not a valid form.
Complete: 'By next June, I ___ here for ten years.'
- a.will work
- b.will have worked✓
- c.am working
- d.have worked
The future perfect 'will have worked' describes a duration completed by a future point ('by next June').