5 questions

Everyday Grammar

Choose the correct tense: 'While I ___ dinner, the phone rang.'

  • a.was cooking✓
  • b.cooked
  • c.cook
  • d.have cooked

The past continuous 'was cooking' describes an action in progress that was interrupted by a shorter past action ('rang').

Everyday Grammar

Complete: 'She's the most talented musician ___ I have ever met.'

  • a.what
  • b.that✓
  • c.which
  • d.who's

After a superlative, 'that' is the usual relative pronoun. 'What' cannot introduce a relative clause here, and 'who's' means 'who is'.

Everyday Grammar

Select the correct option: 'There isn't ___ milk left in the fridge.'

  • a.much✓
  • b.a few
  • c.many
  • d.several

'Milk' is uncountable, so the quantifier 'much' is used in the negative. 'Many', 'a few', and 'several' go with countable nouns.

Everyday Grammar

Choose the correct form: 'They let the children ___ in the garden.'

  • a.play✓
  • b.playing
  • c.to play
  • d.played

After 'let + object', the bare infinitive is used: 'let the children play'. No 'to' is required.

Everyday Grammar

Complete: 'I wish I ___ more time to finish the project.'

  • a.am having
  • b.will have
  • c.had✓
  • d.have

'I wish' about a present situation is followed by the past simple to express an unreal wish, so 'had' is correct.

Report