5 questions

Grammar

If I ___ you, I would apologize before it's too late.

  • a.would be
  • b.am
  • c.had been
  • d.were✓

The second conditional describes an unreal present situation and uses the past subjunctive 'were' for all persons: 'If I were you'. 'Would be' cannot go in the if-clause.

Grammar

We regret to inform you that your application ___.

  • a.has rejecting
  • b.rejected
  • c.has been rejected✓
  • d.is rejecting

The application receives the action, so a passive is needed. 'Has been rejected' (present perfect passive) fits a recent decision with present relevance.

Grammar

She finally admitted ___ the vase, though she blamed her brother at first.

  • a.broke
  • b.to break
  • c.breaking✓
  • d.break

The verb 'admit' is followed by the gerund: 'admit breaking'. It does not take the infinitive.

Grammar

I wish I ___ more attention in class; now I don't understand this topic.

  • a.would pay
  • b.pay
  • c.have paid
  • d.had paid✓

'Wish' + past perfect ('had paid') expresses regret about a past action. The present result ('now I don't understand') confirms the regret is about earlier study.

Grammar

That's the colleague ___ advice completely changed my career.

  • a.which
  • b.who
  • c.whose✓
  • d.that

'Whose' shows possession, linking the colleague to 'advice'. 'Who' would be the subject, and 'which' cannot refer to a person.

Report