Versant English Test — All Questions
4 questions
Usage Errors
Which sentence has NO error?
- a.There are fewer cars on the road today.✓
- b.There is fewer cars on the road today.
- c.There are lesser cars on the road today.
- d.There are less cars on the road today.
'Fewer' is used with countable nouns like 'cars', and the plural subject takes 'are'. 'Less' is for uncountable nouns.
Usage Errors
Identify the correct sentence.
- a.The manager and me discussed the plan.
- b.The manager and I discussed the plan.✓
- c.Me and the manager discussed the plan.
- d.The manager and myself discussed the plan.
As the subject of the verb 'discussed', the subject pronoun 'I' is correct. 'Me' is an object pronoun and 'myself' cannot be a plain subject.
Usage Errors
Which sentence is correct?
- a.I know her since many years.
- b.I am knowing her for many years.
- c.I have knew her for many years.
- d.I have known her for many years.✓
'Know' is a stative verb not normally used in the continuous. The present perfect 'have known' with 'for many years' correctly shows a state continuing to now.
Usage Errors
Choose the error-free sentence.
- a.She suggested we to leave early.
- b.She suggested that we leave early.✓
- c.She suggested us to leave early.
- d.She suggested to leave early to us.
'Suggest' is not followed by an object + infinitive. The correct pattern is 'suggest that + clause', as in 'suggested that we leave early'.